At Travel Counsellors, we care about our customers, communities and our colleagues more than anyone else and that’s what makes us special. For us, relationships trump transactions and we are there for our customers, connecting with them on a deeply human level through the moments that matter.
We’ve been changing lives for over 27 years as the leading travel marketplace for self-employed travel entrepreneurs, empowering over 1,800 global independent travel agents to run successful leisure and corporate travel businesses as part of a company that truly cares and one that has never wavered from its purpose; to redefine what personal means for a travel business.
Our Travel Counsellors are supported by a team of over 200 super talented people in our support offices to help them create unique, inspiring and exciting experiences for their customers, building lasting personal relationships that brings them back to us, time and time again.
We’re fired up for the future as the demand for travel after COVID-19 returns even greater than before, and we’re looking for the brightest and the best to come and join us to take our business to the next level.
Reporting to Head of Platform Operations and working within the Platform Infrastructure Team, you will be responsible for leading the continued operation and maintenance of the organisations global infrastructure. The Lead Platform Engineer is a crucial role and requires both strong technical and interpersonal skills. You will lead the day to day activities of the Platform Infrastructure team and be responsible for the performance of both the team and the environments they support.
Culture fit is extremely important, and we are seeking a caring, entrepreneurial, pragmatic, hands on leader, with an extensive understanding of the ever-changing technology landscape. Experience of both legacy platforms and more leading-edge cloud services/microservices is essential. Through your strong technical experience, excellent IT skills, industry knowledge and your experience of infrastructure design and technical implementation, you will support the wider team to successfully raise the company’s platform offering to the next level.
In this hands-on technical role, you will plan, implement and support the overall technology infrastructure to ensure the stability, security and performance of Travel Counsellors technology systems. Additionally you will coach and develop the internal team to ensure they deliver a consistently high quality and professional service to support the business’s performance and growth and deliver its technology vision and strategy with the most intimate and personal touch.
Your core responsibilities will be the following:
- The complete ownership, management and support of all critical network and infrastructure elements ensuring they remain available and operating to the required levels of performance and security. This includes, but is not limited to the virtualisation, compute, storage, network, connectivity, back-up and replication, monitoring, patching, maintenance, documentation and evolution of the platform and its constituent parts.
- Support our platform evolution and other key technology strategy initiatives in the development and improvement of our global infrastructure to transition to a more cloud centric and scalable architecture.
- Working with other teams to drive change and improvement for example; Security, DevOps and Data Teams.
- Ownership an resolution of escalations from all areas of the wider technology function and business.
- Lead the Platform Infrastructure Team and mentor junior members of the department.
- Assist in the resolution of live issues and act as a technical escalation for the Platform Operations Team.
- Out of hours support through an on-call rotation.
Summary of Key Attributes and Qualifications
- Proven experience of strong technical and thought leadership within a financial or digital technology business
- Experience of Installation, configuration and support of Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2019
- Active Directory Administration (On-Premise and Azure AD, including Enterprise Applications)
- Management and maintenance of the Office 365 suite
- Communication technology such as Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business, Exchange & Mimecast
- Cloud Providers such as Azure and AWS
- Backup technology such as Microsoft DPM and VEEAM.
- Network and connectivity technologies such as LAN, WAN, Wireless, DNS, DHCP, VPN, TCP/IP.
- Experience troubleshooting server, storage and network hardware
- Experience with virtualisation technologies such as Microsoft Hyper-V, VMWare vSphere, K8s and DockerSwarm
- Experience with infrastructure as code such as Azure DevOps and Terraform
- Experience of monitoring systems such as Microsoft System Centre, Site24x7, PRTG, Prometheus or Grafana
- Experience of supporting a global organisation in a remote working environment
- A full UK drivers licence and access to a car.
- Exposure to an ITIL environment
- Understanding modern project management principles
- Experience with Cyber Security tools such as Vulnerability Scanning, SIEM, IPS, IDS and DLP
- Experience of supporting Linux