Founded 26 years ago, Travel Counsellors is the UK’s leading travel marketplace for self-employed travel agents with a growing international presence. Private equity backed by Vitruvian Partners, well-known for backing exceptional entrepreneurs and management teams in companies creating sustainable high growth or strategic value through change and transformation, our disruptive model enables over 1,800 independent travel entrepreneurs to create home-based travel businesses using a high touch, service-led approach to target a wide range of leisure and corporate travel customers.
With our own sophisticated and proprietary technology (Phenix), 2019 was the Company’s 17th year of consecutive double-digit growth with a total transaction value (TTV) surpassing £650million for the first time and with a UK leisure travel market valued at £6bn, we believe our aim to ‘scale with intimacy’ will help drive our mission to transform the travel experiences for our customers and the lives of our Travel Counsellors, colleagues and communities.
Voted the ‘Best Travel Operator’ in ‘Money Saving Expert’s July 2020 survey for how refunds and customer service has been handled during the COVID-19 crisis as a result of our business model that is powered by our people and unique sense of community. We’re more confident than ever that our business model will be even more valuable in a post-pandemic world as we look to capitalise on a consumer group looking for a personal service from a travel provider whilst offering a life-changing experience for our global Travel Counsellor community.
Role Summary and Core Responsibilities
As a Test Lead, you will provide guidance and clear coaching at a technical level to the testing team to help them achieve their product and organisational goals. You will review requirements, specifications and define test conditions, analyse and report test activities and results.
The purpose of testing is to ensure that new and amended systems, configurations, packages, or services, together with any interfaces, perform as specified, and that the risks associated with deployment are adequately understood and documented. Includes the process of engineering, using and maintaining testware (test cases, test scripts, test reports, test plans, etc.) to measure and improve the quality of the software being tested.
Your responsibilities will be:
- To design, develop, contribute and maintain our existing automation framework
- Coaching, mentoring & upskilling current test team.
- Define the automation standards within product area, methodologies, toolsets, technologies and ultimately ways of working for the team.
- Determine testing policy, and own the supporting processes including software security testing.
- Work closely with the scrum team, particularly Dev Ops to ensure that quality code can be released into live on a regular cycle.
- The creation and maintenance of appropriate test environment for automation, ensuring it is constantly efficient with support from Environment and Dev team
- Coordinate and manage planning of the system and/or acceptance tests, including software security testing, within a development or integration project or programme.
- Work closely with Head of Development, Senior Developers and Product Owners daily to understand functional requirements and acceptance criteria to ensure the build of quality products.
- Manage all risks associated with the testing and takes preventative action when any risks become unacceptable.
- Assess and advise on the practicality of testing process alternatives, including automated testing. Initiates improvements to test processes and directs their implementation.
- Manage client relationships with respect to all testing matters.
- Help lead the team towards testing Microservices
- Take responsibility for integrity of testing and acceptance activities and coordinates the execution of these activities
Experience and Qualifications
- 2 + years’ experience in a Lead Tester role
- Proven track record of extensive work experience scripting automated, browser-based, end-to-end functional tests using the Selenium WebDriver (APIs, as opposed to record/playback IDE)
- Experience of Selenium WebDriver framework maintenance
- Good understanding of API testing
- Familiar with CI/CD, microservices
- Experience in Manual testing (UAT/System/Regression)
- Working knowledge of Cloud computing (accredited with a cloud provider desirable)
- Exposure of Agile Requirement designing
- Employs automated testing techniques, particularly to support regression testing across all product platforms.
- Working knowledge of the software development life cycle.
- Experience in Test Plan preparation, estimation, and status reporting
- Knowledge of testing Micro Services and the different types needed including Base, Unit, Integration, Load, Stress, Security, resiliency testing (desirable)
- Experience of working within a fast-paced IT services environment
- Testing Qualifications (e.g. ISEB, ISTQB or other accredited) Desirable
Skills & Personal Attributes
- Good understanding of HTML, CSS and Java, basic coding skills
- Ability to pick up new languages and processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good attention to detail with a focus on quality and continuous improvement.
- Excellent time management and planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to build rapport and engage with all types of individual
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to nurture relationships
- Strong problem-solving skills and a motivation to provide the best possible service to the user throughout the support process repetition in part to the problem-solving skills noted above
- Comfortable operating in fast paced environments with informal ways of working
- Naturally ambitious and hardworking with a flexible and positive approach to work
- Self-motivated, proactive, enthusiastic and committed to a testing career path.
- Keeps up to date on the latest industry trends and openly shares thoughts amongst Testing Centre of Excellence on standards / tools / technologies / trends for automated testing